Monday, July 11, 2016

Slow cooker Moroccan chicken stew with butternut squash

This recipe isn't unique and a quick google search yields lots of variations, but this is how I make it, most of the time. It is moroccan themed and is warm and hearty. I probably shouldn't have added the raisins at the very beginning, but they were still yummy so thats an extra step cut out! I also added only a third of a cup of stock and the stew was quite thick, which is how I like it, but thats a personal preference. I used butternut squash in this but I suspect it would work just as well with pumpkin or acorn squash.

Ingredients:

1 Small butternut squash, peeled and cubed
1kg Chicken thighs (~8, bone-in, skinned)
2 small onions, diced
6 cloves of garlic, chopped
1" piece of ginger, chopped
1 can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1/3 cup stock
squeeze of tomato puree
Raisins
Spices (garam masala, paprika, chilli flakes, cumin powder, nutmeg, cinnamon)

Method:

1) Brown the chopped onions, garlic and ginger in a little oil on high heat (~7 minutes)
2) Add everything to the slow cooker. The only thing I was careful about was that the chicken wasn't on the very bottom.
3) I added the spices by eye, but it was perhaps about a teaspoon of garam masala, salt, cumin powder and 1/2 and teaspoon of paprika and chilli flakes and a shake of nutmeg and cinnamon powder.
4) On high for 3.5-4 hours.
5) Garnish with chopped parsley and eat with crusty buttered bread. It also works really well with couscous. 

No comments:

Post a Comment