Monday, July 11, 2016

Slow cooker lamb Rogan Josh

Our grocery store had a sale on lamb and so I picked up a 1.6kg (3.5lb) chunk and didn't know what to do with it. My problem with lamb is that it can taste overwhelmingly of...lamb? wool? Not sure. It doesn't always taste strongly but when it does I'm not a huge fan. So, I decided to go with strong spices and the slow cooker. I combined two different recipes. Recipe 1 which did lots of things that sounded good and Recipe 2 which sounded really authentic. My combined recipe is below. It was super spicy, so I would reduce the number of dried red chillis when I make it again.

Ingredients

  • 1.6kg boneless lamb leg, cut into large chunks
  • 3 large potatoes (totally optional), cut into large chunks
  • 1-2 red onions, chopped
  • 1 cup Yogurt
  • Vinegar
  • Ginger chopped or paste
  • Garlic chopped or paste

Masala 

  • 1"-2" piece of cinnamon
  • 5 whole green cardamom pods
  • 3/4 teaspoon whole cloves
  • 3/4 teaspoon whole fennel seeds
  • 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
  • 5 dried red chillies
  • 2 large or 3 small star anise
  • 1 black cardamom pod
  • 1 teaspoon paprika powder

Method

  1. Grind together ingredients for the masala
  2. Add the lamb chunks, the spice powder from above and salt to a bowl and shake around until the lamb chunks are coated well. This sat for about an hour and I guess it marinated, but that wasn't intentional. I was mostly chopping other stuff and being lazy.
  3. Fry the onions and once they are caramelized, add ginger and garlic chopped or paste and fry for 5 minutes on a low to medium heat. I added about 5 cloves of finely chopped garlic and a tablespoon of ginger paste. The ginger paste was probably about 2" worth.
  4. Add the lamb chunks and fry until some of the chunks get some surface. (This is to get some flavor out of the Mallaird reaction, but I wasn't thorough about browning all the lamb)
  5. Splash in some vinegar. I had some red wine vinegar. I'm fairly sure the type of vinegar won't matter.
  6. Add everything to the slow cooker and toss in the potato chunks and stir to coat and cook on high for 6 hours.
  7. An hour before completion, stir in the Yogurt.
I think 5 or 5.5 hours would have been better, not because it dried out, at all, but because the pieces were almost too falling apart. I ate it over rice with Yogurt because I needed Yogurt to cut the heat of the chilies. It was hot and yummy and kept us warm during the snow.

Update October 2016: We have now also made this with pork shoulder as well and it tasted excellent. So either protein is fine to use with this recipe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment